Wednesday 8 March 2017

IMO




Hey everyone, this is my second blog post and I thought for this one I’d maybe give my own opinions on the topic and maybe talk a little bit about blogs in general also.


The definition of a blog is “a regularly updated website or web page, typically one run by an individual or small group that is written in an informal or conversational style.” Obviously this definition isn’t the only one and can be branched out into so much more. There’s probably a lot of people who still don’t even know what a blog is but I can admit myself that I didn’t read a single blog up until about 2 or 3 years ago and it was the main gossip ones that I used to read. I now sort of flick through different ones just to see if I find one I like to read (usually funny ones) but this is where it sort of links back with the title about sponsorships or advertisements taking over blogs and sort of sucking the enjoyment out of it. It is a difficult point to get valid opinions on because I don’t think a lot of people particularly care because why would they? At the same time, it can make blog posts feel less personal and make people feel like products or services are being shoved in their faces when it isn’t really necessary. On a list of the top 15 blogs, (http://www.ebizmba.com/articles/blogs) Huffingon Post is number one and if you have a look on it you’ll see that there isn’t really advertisements or sponsorships. It’s just full of content and I think that is a good thing because it doesn’t distract readers from their posts.


Also on the top 15 list is Perez Hilton’s blog. I can put my hands up and say guilty as charged that I’ve read some of his stuff a fair few times. This is an example of a blog that does have a lot of advertisements and sponsorships. This is a power based blog so this means that it is primarily focused on gaining power and money through advertisements and sponsorships, it’s a blog that doesn’t really have a personal feel to it in my opinion. What can I say? Everybody’s opinions are going to be different, some may agree with me and others will feel the complete opposite but let me know in the comments what you think about it.



Something that has changed in the blog world is that now they make social media account to get the word out about their blogs and to communicate with the public and I think promoting through social media is one of the best ways because it is a modern world and people are on their phones/laptops/tablets every single day and people do pay attention a lot of the time so I think bloggers are doing the right thing taking advantage of that because it just makes sense.


I’ll be back in a few weeks with a more informative blog post as I will have gathered some more research to back up different points! Let me know what you guys think in the comments and give me some suggestions of blogs to check out!

1 comment:

  1. Perez Hilton is not really what most people would think on as a blogger now - he's like a powerhouse! Do you read any smaller, more personal blogs? It would have been good to link through to the list of the top 15 so people can read it - do you know how to do this?

    ReplyDelete